Sunday, May 21, 2006

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips in Keukenhof














KEUKENHOF, NETHERLANDS -- May 21, 2006
(rough notes)

Rainclouds and an ominous forecast are threatening, but this is the last day of the season that the gardens are open. So even if it pours, I will be there, to enjoy what I can! I take the train to Leiden, bus to Lisse.

En route, I meet a sweet little Dutch woman, taking a day to herself to enjoy the scent of flowers. She speaks English fairly well (as do most of the people I have tried to talk to here). Pleasant ride to the gates, except for my ticket fiasco (I almost lost it, and with it, my chances of getting entry to the gardens)! The gardens are spectacular - more beautiful than I had imagined....minus the picture-postcard rows of colored tulips in the large field, which I missed by two weeks.

Clouds and scattered showers followed me for the first hour or so. Then, a miracle -- the sun came out, illuminating tulips buds and creating an oasis of vivid colors breathing life into happy onlookers. Walked through one of the greenhouses, filled to the brim with lilies of every kind. The perfume from the flowers hung thickly in the air, was so intoxicating.

On the way out, snapped a photo of a girl collecting tickets, wearing traditional Dutch clothing.

~Melanie
Posted by Picasa


No comments: