Monday, May 1, 2006

Maxing Out in Madrid

MADRID, SPAIN -- April 30 - May 1, 2006

I had little expectation from Madrid other than a trip to the Museo del Prado, one of the world's most impressive collections of paintings from the Spanish, Flemish, and Italian greats. The museum truly did not disappoint. I wandered through room after room of canvases of immense proportions from artists such as Velasquez, Rubens, El Greco, Goya, Boticelli.

Each frame holds a magnificent masterpiece, but the sheer quantity is so overwhelming that, sadly, I find myself strolling through the corridors and glancing in this or that direction for one to catch my eye. Most of the works on display are portraits of high society, and depictions of Christ and the "Sagrada Familia" (sacred family). I find one quite moving, albeit a little graphic. Jesus, struggling up the hill of Golgotha, has fallen upon a boulder along the roadside. His body is pale and weak, and the crown of his head is plastered with the blood from the crown of thorns pressed into his flesh. His expression is one of absolute fatigue and pain, and I am at once awed by the talent of the hands that created this image which spoke to me.

I later stroll through the adjacent park, El Retiro, where a good number of Madrid's locals are enjoying a Sunday stroll of their own. The grassy areas are a patchwork of picnic blankets and sunbathing bodies, children running and adults breaking into a game of futbol (Americans, read: soccer). I meet a threesome of energetic locals, one of whom is an English teacher here in Madrid, who land their futbol close to the bench where I have been enjoying my picnic lunch. It never fails to amaze me how easy it is to meet people everywhere I go.

I was hoping for a day-trip to Toledo during my second day in Madrid, but sadly, due to the nationwide holiday, every train to this picturesque town less than an hour from Madrid, is completely full. Luckily, I do have a ticket out of town on the overnight train to one of Europe's most beautiful beaches, San Sebastian, for tonight. It's time for a little R&R -- whoever thought long-term travel was a vacation was.... partly right. But keeping up with the Spanish and Portuguese night life has left me running on empty. Here's to a relaxing few days of sun, sand, and hopefully, a hefty amount of zzzz's!

~Melanie Posted by Picasa

No comments: