Saturday, May 6, 2006

Last Day in Barcelona: Summing Up the Spain Experience

BARCELONA, SPAIN -- May 6, 2006

Of all the big, sprawling cities I have been to in my travels, there are few that really stand out to me as being special places, worthy of returning for more than the hustle and bustle of a happening city. Barcelona is one of the most beautiful big cities I have ever seen, and if I'm not overdoing it here, is perhaps THE most beautiful of them all.

Set between rolling mountains to the north (even its own little Montjuic, "Mount of the Jews," which boasts its share of museums, sights, and the Olympic stadium) and the shimmering sea to the south, it has everything from cathedrals to stunning museums to brilliant architecture to beautiful parks in between. I often ask myself as I move through a place whether I could see myself returning, even living, here.

With Barcelona, I could easily answer yes to both. Overrun with tourists through the long summer season, sure. Swelteringly hot in July and August, yes. But these are small things compared to the stunning setting that Barcelona and those who are fortunate enough to live here enjoy.
My last day in Barcelona was spent well, revisiting Parc de la Ciutadella and lingering near the famous cascades (waterfalls) spilling down a manmade mountainside. Its lush interior is the perfect place to spend a lazy afternoon, complete with rowboats for rent in a peaceful lake.

Flower gardens, shady pathways, and plenty of subjects for people-watching... what more does a park need? I took the metro to Barceloneta, one of the stops closest to the famous beachfront promenade, and walked to Sant Sebastia (not to be confused with my two-day retreat to Spain's St. Sebastian), where already the shores were lined with sunbathers. While the water was too cold for swimming, the sun was more than sufficient. I never knew I was such a beach lover, but I guess that's half the fun of my explorations. I've never lived close enough to the ocean to know.
My skin has changed colors, from a pasty white to a light golden tan peppered with freckles, except for a narrow strip of white across my feet where my sandal straps keep my skin hidden from the sun. After leaving Barcelona and the Cote d'Azur (next stop), it will be awhile before I'm back in beach-land. So I'm enjoying it while I've got it.

My last half hour in Barcelona was spent walking La Rambla and reminiscing about my favorite Spanish memories before returning to the train station to board my evening train which would carry me across the border into France.
It has been such a delightful two weeks in sunny Spain. I am already missing the amazing paella and sangria, the warmth of summery sun (despite the fact that it was April and May when I traveled through the country!), the atmosphere of festive celebrations, the colorful flamenco dresses lining souvenir shops and bodies of women during the Feria de Abril, strolling street musicians strumming their Spanish guitars.... ahhh.... such a beautiful country.... I can only hope that I will continue to find such pleasures as I continue on through the rest of Western Europe. But I'm afraid Spain will be stiff competition for its easterly neighbors!

~Melanie Posted by Picasa

No comments: