Friday, May 19, 2006

Breezing Through Bruges -- Windmills, Winding Canals, and World´s Best Truffles














BRUGES, BELGIUM -- May 19, 2006


Despite a morning full of pelting rainclouds, I managed to day-trip to nearby Brugge, the charming medieval town 1 hour NW of Brussels. Sadly, its economy flattened in the 1400's when the Zwin River -- lifeblood of the merchants' business -- silted. But today, this little gem of a town has that frozen-in-time charm that makes it a favorite among visitors. It is, in fact, the most visited town in Belgium!
At the train station, I picked up a map for tourists, which laid out several walking tours through the town. I always enjoy walking tours, a chance to work some 'touristy' must-do's into my own self-guided exploration of a new place. I tucked it away fro a bit later in the day, opting first to get my bearings and wander around a bit 'off the radar.'

I took a bus to the 'Markt,' and ten minutes later, squealed with delight as I stepped into the colorful square. The buildings rose in every direction around me, bridge and cheery and decked with flowers spilling frlom windowboxes. On the ground level, cafe umbrellas beckoned daytrippers to sit for a while and enjoy the local tastes on offer. And dozens of flags whipped in the strong wind.

Outside the main square, I ambled over bridges, down cobbled streets, peeking in windows at the lacework and fine chocolates on display. I passed a busy food stand, where two men were picking up their order for Belgian waffles dipped in chocolate and nutella. I had recently learned that Belgium is the place where french fries were create (not France, as you would naturally think -- but remember that Belgium is half Flemish, and half French). So I ordered at the counter, served the Belgian way, with mayonnaise instead of ketchup. They were good! It suddenly seemed little wonder to me that McD's has yet to explode on the Belgian market -- they'd have quite a run for their money with the French fries!

By this time, the wind had picked up and, determined to keep myself from freezing to death, I headed northeast, following the 'Tranquil Bridges' walking path outlined on my map. I followed it along quiet canals, past lesser-known bul well-loved churches, and out to the borders of the town, where a small river flowed along a busy outer road.

As I walked, one windmill, then another, came into view. I scrambled to the hilltops on which they stood, peering out over the city beyond. Heading back into town, I passed the old gate which used to be the entrance to fair Brugge. An hour later, I was on my way back to Brussels via train, indulging in the liquer-filled Belgian truffles I had splurged on back in town.

~Melanie Posted by Picasa

No comments: