Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Last Words on England

I imagined before leaving home that I might run the risk of falling in love with every country I visit... England certainly did me in!

I fell hard and fast for the charm of its small rolling hillsides and breathtaking architecture, that English accent that somehow makes even the most cultured American sound oh-so-dull by comparison. I loved England for the world-renowned sites that add up to more than enough of a reason to take that trans-Atlantic flight and put up with jet lag. But I think mostly, I fell in love with England because of the people I met here who made my experience so uniquely... personal.


As a parting gesture :) I am pleased to provide a rather short list of truly "English" words collected during my short visit to England. If you want to make that English accent sound really convincing, try tossing a couple of these into your vocabulary (English expression is followed by its American equivalent):
"Can't be bothered" = "I couldn't care less."
"I'm completely knackered" = "I am so tired I could fall asleep standing up."
"Brilliant" = awesome, amazing
"Rubbish" = not even worth bothering with
"tube" = metro
"subway" = underground walkway, NOT the same as the tube!
"Mind the gap" = "Watch your step" (as you exit the tube)
"loo" = toilet (don't ask for the bathroom; you may be met with a quizzical expression and a question of why you want to take a bath!)

Cheerio!

~Melanie Posted by Picasa

No comments: