Thursday, March 23, 2006

Georgian on My Mind: Part II

(continued)

After walking the entire circumference of Bath, I finally headed down through its historic center. Suddenly, the spires of Bath Abbey punctured the sky with their intricate, lacy stonework.After a grand day of wandering, Chris and I met up and enjoyed an Indian ecletic dish -- homemade (thanks, Chris!) Pork Coconut Curry. Yum!! I've always heard that England (London, actually) has some of the world's best Indian food. Bath did not disappoint!!

My second day in Bath began with a traditional English breakfat -- fried egg, crisp bacon, and baked beans with vinegar, all served over toast. Despite the cold and relentless wind, I managed to do a fair bit of sightseeing today.

The Roman Baths were top on the list, and they were worth every one of the 13 pounds I paid for entry!! This extensive complex was built over the natural thermal springs of Bath. The Romans believed it must have religious significance because of its seemingly supernatural occurence, and dedicated it to the goddess Minerva.

Sacrificial rituals were performed by the priests, who were the only ones allowed to touch the holy waters. Even now, centuries later, the mineral waters still bubble a calming green hue, mists rising off them like fog rolling into dawn.


After exiting the baths, I crossed through the Pump Room, a sumptuous visual feast, decked in all the elegance of the Georgian era (think Jane Austen for the Rich and Famous). Astonishingly high ceilings, elongated windows and pillars, draperies, chandeliers, and a room full of patrons being service by a graceful, attentive wait staff. A string ensemble played at the head of the room, their melodies reverberating off the high ceiling above.

It was in this room that I sampled a glass of the thermal waters, which taste like the dregs from a fish barrel, but are supposed to have some kind of special restorative powers. The jury's out on whether it was worth choking it down :) but at least I can say I have done it! You know the saying, when in Rome...

While the Costume Museum was a disappointment, I thoroughly enjoyed Bath Abbey. The grandeur of the stained-glass panes, Gothic arches marching in succession from one end to the other, walls decorated with memorial stones of those I suppose were wealthy enough to keep the church going.

All in all, Bath was an absolute gem, definitely worth a couple of days to soak in its charm and beauty. And shameless plug here, because my mom's name is Georgia -- but Mom, you would LOVE it here, Georgian architecture and all!!

~Melanie Posted by Picasa

No comments: